What were they building? Larry Millett’s invaluable “Lost Twin Cities” notes that building, empty since 1933, was converted into a parking garage in the early 40s. Perhaps they were knocking out the lobby to make room for the Buicks.

Then again, the signs indicate parking in the alley. Maybe they were removing an underground safe containing the secret treasures of the Globe newspaper. Imagine their disappointment if they’d only found letters and photos. Toss ‘em, boys. Nothing of value here.